Friday 9 December 2011

Poket Depan Baju Kurung

by Nani-Syed Osman on Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 12:09pm
All my years as a youngster, my baju kurung had a gentleman's pocket, sewn - top left. I had not own one with a side-pocket, common to others. Money was always tight and I usually had only a pair made each year. And, as my palm grew wider, so did my pocket. In 1981, F5, I asked my late mother to do one without, but she insisted that it was best.


Freshly ironed, I adorned my baju kurung, excited that the F1 Orientation Week would take place soon. As one of the receiving committee members, I was ready to assist the newbies to their rooms and help concerned parents pacified them.  Questions were thrown at me in regards to locations and things to expect.... and being my bubbly me, I was just too happy to lend a helping hand.


One after another, bags were being hauled up the 4 flights of stairs into the girl's dormitory. Since they were still petite compared to the lugged bags, I automatically took control over them. Despite their respective parents' disapproval, I continued offering my assisting hands, smiling, "Takpe pakcik, makcik.  Memang tugas saya."


I made sure that the freshies' belongings were locked into their respective lockers before pulling out their bedsheets. Demonstrating to them how to make their beds, I said, "Meh sini akak tunjuk cara nak bagi tegang cadar ni. Nanti bila kena kemas katil, buat macam ni ye?", a common reminder to the little ones.


As the 5th parents descended the staircase, I walked them to their parked car. Offering my hands to salam, I lowered my head as I placed, softly,  the tip of my nose on the back of each parent's right hand and managed a brief curtsy (which was common back then to illustrate respect). When, I brought my body to a standing position, a quick gesture approached my pocket. Taken aback, I saw that it was a rolled 1 Ringgit Malaysia, stuffed into it. I shook my head to show that it would be inappropriate for me to accept. "Ambek la...buat beli aiskerim", was the common respond.


At the end of the day, I had collected 12RM: a combination on 1RM and 2RM per parents, which was a lot for me. I had never had that much amount in my hands.


I related the incident and my fortune to my late mom when she came for a visit that first weekend. She smiled and winked at me and said, "See. Emak knows best".


The moral of the story: Never question your mother...Happy Mother's Day, Mak. May you rest in peace, if Allah permits.
- 31 Dec 1937 to 18 Dec 2008.


Asmah Mohd Noor

No comments:

Post a Comment