Friday 8 July 2011

How I came about the name of this link


         The school office was receiving a new clerk. Young, sweet and single, she was only 22 when she started. She kept addressing me as ‘kakak’ and I thought how inappropriate it was for her to do so. A more than 20-odd years of difference do not warrant me that title. I told her so and she blushed it away, not knowing how to response to my predicament.  I had made it clear to her of my discomfort and finally she relented and inquired how would I prefer to be addressed as?  Really? I responded. And she nodded her pretty young head.

          There were Noraini, our pengetua, Noraini, the librarian, Ruzaini, another clerk….of all whose names end with ‘ni’.  Makcik Nani? Sounds common. Mak Nani? Sounds so much like Mak Ani,the librarian. Aunty Nani? Corny…..

          So, one day I approached her and said,’Panggil makcun la…glamour sikit,’.  Heads turned and saw me mouthing those words and all hell broke loose. They were all laughing at me. Well….why not? Since every1 thinks that it is funny and no1 thinks otherwise, I am now stuck with ‘Makcun’ among the office clerks. Thus, to commemorate the birth of my nickname ‘Makcun’ and the birth of my blog..here’s 1 for you…Nazirah.

No comments:

Post a Comment